PDA

View Full Version : Car coming off SORN, can i tax it in advance?

SB118
25-09-2006, 04:17 PM
My SJ is getting an MOT retest on wednesday and then i need to tax it. Obviously i'm going to wait till the start of next month before paying out, BUT the 1st of next month is a sunday which makes it kinda tricky to get into the post office (without being arrested that is).

I know if it's a regular renewal you can go in upto 14 days in advance with your renewal letter and deal with it, but it is the same with a SORN car? Or will they want paying from the start of the month a tax it in? (which will really suck!)

I know it'll be on the DVLA site "somewhere" but i'm hoping that somebody here will know off the top of their head.

Cheers

Jaffa cake boy
25-09-2006, 04:35 PM
you could try there website for taxing your viechle

www.direct.gov/taxdisc (http://www.direct.gov/taxdisc)

Masked Marauder
25-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes you can, it continues SORNed until the tax disc becomes valid. You can purchase the tax upto 14 days in advance. You don't need to go to the post office either, you can do it online, although there is a small charge for this.

SB118
25-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I've not had the logbook come back to me yet, so the site is a no-go :(

SB118
27-09-2006, 09:37 PM
:mad: S.O.B. :mad:

SJ passed the retest today, took the paperwork down to the main postoffice to get the taxdisc.

Paid for 6 months, asked for it to run from next month. Woman asked "Is there tax on it right now?", nope, it's SORN, "ok"

So she writes out a disc which starts THIS MONTH! :mad: ARGH!!!

It's all done and dusted and i start bleating about wanting it for next month, and she tells me that i can only tax a SORN vehicle 2 days before the tax is due to start. And right now it's 3 days to the end of the month, so it has to go back to the start of this month.

****. At least i get to go out to play earlier i suppose.

wazza
27-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Its only money.. and hey at least you are legal now

SB118
27-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Yes, i know it's "nearly" a whole tenner, but i'm a tightarse and wasn't planning on playing until the weekend!

Masked Marauder
28-09-2006, 10:29 AM
The woman at the post office was WORNG. You can get your tax disc 15 days before it is due to run SORN or not.