Thread: Where can the police park a speed trap?

Default Where can the police park a speed trap?

Greetings. My First post.

I have a question regarding where the police can set up a speed-trap.

Can the police vehicle (car, van or whatever) from which the speed measuring equipment is being used be parked on private property, such as a farm entrance or factory gateway, or does it have to be on the public highway (layby's etc)?

I had always assumed that it was the later.

Cheers

BoinkCluster

What about illegal parking, i.e. on doube yellows or cross hatch areas?

Do the civilian operators have the same exemption from normal parking law also? And if not are their tickets still valid?

Bear in mind also that any traffic regulation order like double yellow lines is likely to contain exemptions for maintenance, emergency and law enforcement vehicles. So parking on double yellow lines to enforce speed would not be breaking the law.

It isn't a good idea though and sends the wrong message...
    I'm smiling. That alone should scare you.

What I post here is my own opinion and not necessarily that of my shadowy and mysterious employers. Please be aware that my boundless enthusiasm sometimes gets the better of my natural reticence. No refunds will be offered.

I wasnt thinking about pretend safety partnerships parking on actuall yellow lines, but in verges next to them, were normal cars can be ticketed.

As for civilian operators, I dont think a case against them being allowed to form primary oppinion has ever reached court yet, as the likely outcome of them not being able to will open the floodgates. Just because the CC says they can, does not automatically mean that some can instantly be able to judge speed, or did he train them too?

An enforcement vehicle could park on a verge even if there were waiting restrictions. If regular enforcement takes place then at a particular location then a hardstanding (with a sign for 'police vehicles only') would probably be built. Otherwise they tend to get stuck in the mud in winter .
    I'm smiling. That alone should scare you.

What I post here is my own opinion and not necessarily that of my shadowy and mysterious employers. Please be aware that my boundless enthusiasm sometimes gets the better of my natural reticence. No refunds will be offered.

Short answer - they can't. Because there is no such thing as a speed 'trap'.
    Either you were breaking the law or you weren't. Ever heard of a burglary trap or a criminal damage trap? What about a drink driver trap or a disqualified driver trap?

As for enforcing certain laws, you will find there are either legal exemptions or local enforcement agreements in force.

Quite simple really, don't do it and you won't get penalised

So a pretemd safety vehical does not have to obey the highway code for parking? That is a little absurd in my opinion. They park illegaly and often dangerously near me on verges with double yellows, which I am assured extend to the edge of the highway or pavement, so yellows are in force.

As for no such thing as a speed trap Eunos, what are they then, definatley not safety traps....

The main bit that botheres me is that civilians seem to be able to ignore laws when working for our pretend safety partnerships, and this does not seem right.

The legal exemptions that are alleged to be in force are optimisic at the least, and I dont belive a word the SCP say in the least, as they lie at every opurtunity.

To add, I am not Police bashing, just SCP bashing.

Before an argument ensues lets get a few things straight.
    Neither I nor a great number of feds agree with camera vans or the siting of camera's but we have no say in it whatsoever.
    Secondly, camera vans and camera's are not placed 'willey - nilly (god knows how to spell that) they are placed after consultation and scrutinisation of collision and speed records at that site. So where a camera is sited at a location there is normally a reason.
    As for the word 'Trap', why is it a trap? surely if you don't break the law then you don't fall foul of it. Some officers cannot be seen when doing enforcement but that is not for hiding, it's for motorists not seeing them. If it were for burglary would you call it a trap? I can PM you a pic if you will accept it with an explanation!
    The civilians who work for the partnership have certain exemptions in law. Look at the force website for the answers as to where they can park. If they are causing an obstruction I will not hesitate to issue a ticket but at times it is beyond my control.
    As for obeying the highway code? It is only a guide, it is not law but is admissible in court. If you have a serious complaint against a van or a police vehicle then take a 'photo (if poss) and complain to the force in that area.
    I hope this helps a little

Well said Eunos

Thanks for more clarification. You did state that our pretend safety cams carefully choose their sites, and they have to abide by rules, they doo use them to their advantage. There is a dual carriageway near me, that has had several non speed related deaths, and hence the scams can use this road to trap people, do you think they park on what I (and common sense says) are the dangerous parts? Of course not, they sit on the safe parts were people drift over the limit. Its all about safety then.. not. I have never seen a scam van on any dangerous areas of the roads they are allowed to use, they shy away from schools and the like, as they will catch less speeders, although they would improve safety.

As far as I am still aware re the CC exemptions, this has never gone as far as court, and there is no exemption in law that civilians can make primary judge of speed, and there has been no change to law in parliament to make this affect, hence the scams have never progressed with these.

As for why they shouldnt be allowed, is because it is wrong, and not particulary legal, and more importantly, there should be more people like you on the road tackling the real causes of accidents.

Here"s a very simplicist point of view......if we all slowed down a little and stuck to the speed limit then there would be very few tickets issused for speeding,meaning the goverment couldnt keep erecting camera"s due to there being no profit...the police operating the camera vans would then be free to do other duties,such as being a policeman instead of sitting on the side of the road twiddling his thumbs.And we as drivers would feel smug in the knowledge that we are not handing over vast amounts of money to the goverment.

Allways thought the operators were on overtime.
    THINK Look where you are going!

Thread Information