Thread: can i remove the 'cat' from my exhaust?

Default can i remove the 'cat' from my exhaust?

my car is a 1992 pugeot 106 and it needs a new cataletic converter - but @160 i think i may just take it out...what is the law on this?

all help greatly received
    joe

Well it would fail the MOT, that's for sure...
    Ebony Black Leon Cupra R
    Big Shiny Wheels
    Lovely Red Brake Calipers
    Dampened Grab Handles
    Retracting Cup Holder

Your vehicle should be able to pass the MOT emissions test AND be able to satisfy any ministry of transport roadside tests.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest!

so providing it would pass it should be ok?
    i have heard so many stories about pre 1993 model being ok without a cat - any1 know other wise?

If your car was registered before January 1993 then you can remove your cat legally in the UK as long as the car still meets the MOT emission requirements.

If your car was registered during or after January 1993 and was fitted with a cat then you must have a cat fitted when the car is MOT tested.
    "This is a nightmare. I'm on the run from the fascist police with a murderer and a mass murderer and a man in a Bri-Nylon shirt) NOTE: The content of my posts on this site are of my own opinion. They do not reflect the opinions of any organisation I may represent, nor those of 5ive-o. For legal advice, please speak to a solicitor.

ANd a bit More from the MOT testers handbook:
    http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.
    e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )200ppm.

Early catalyst vehicles:
    The flowcharts and notes must be carefully followed. If a vehicle is fitted with a catalyst it does not necessarily mean a 'CAT' test is
    required.
    "This is a nightmare. I'm on the run from the fascist police with a murderer and a mass murderer and a man in a Bri-Nylon shirt) NOTE: The content of my posts on this site are of my own opinion. They do not reflect the opinions of any organisation I may represent, nor those of 5ive-o. For legal advice, please speak to a solicitor.

Thread Information